Fall is in the air and most of us have Halloween on our minds, but over in the Student Disability Center, we’re already thinking finals week!
SDC is in need of volunteers for finals week, Dec. 10-14. Last semester we administered 1,800 exams during finals week for students with disabilities who need specific accommodations when taking exams.
This volume is increasing each semester and requires us to set up satellite areas all over campus so that we have the room and conditions needed. We need volunteers to act as monitors/proctors for these areas.
- We ask that all volunteers be graduate students or professional staff; no undergraduates, please.
- All volunteers will be trained (mandatory, about half an hour) before you are assigned.
- Returning volunteers are not required to attend a training session, however, you are welcome to sign up if you’d like a refresher!
- We’d prefer folks who are available for at least two-hour blocks of time, but we’ll be happy with whatever time you can offer.
- Monitors are needed especially for Monday through Thursday of finals week, both morning and afternoon.
- We operate from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., so there are plenty of opportunities for you to pitch in.
We may be able to use you as a reader or scribe if you are not needed as a proctor. This is a great opportunity to sit in a quiet space for an extended block of time and catch up on work or just read a good book!
Allison Penfield is assistant director of the Student Disability Center.