Enjoy both greens and grains in this hearty springtime salad from the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center!
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Salt to taste
1 bunch asparagus, sliced in 2-inch pieces
3 cups cooked farro
1 small fennel bulb, thinly slice
2 celery stalks, chopped
5 green onions, white parts only, thinly sliced
2 cups baby arugula
1/2 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped
Salt & cracked black pepper to taste
1. For the dressing, place Dijon mustard, lemon juice, sugar and garlic in food processor. Process for 10 seconds while pouring in the olive oil.
2. For the salad, fill a small mixing bowl with 2 cups of water and 1 cup ice and set aside. Bring 3 cups of water to boil in a saucepan. Immerse cut asparagus in the boiling water for 1 minute. Remove from water and immediately place in ice water bath.
3. Combine farro, fennel, celery, green onions, arugula and parsley in a large bowl.
4. Drain asparagus and combine with farro salad mix and salad dressing in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Yield: 6 servings